Below is an email I received Friday. For clarification:
You have a package SLIP in the [Dorm name] office. Please come by and pick it up Monday-Friday, 1:00-5:00 pm. Additionally, the office is open Monday and Wednesday evenings from 8:00 â€“ 9:00 pm.
It is in the mail basket under your last name.
1:00-5:00, Monday – Friday
[Building name] 104A
Friday, I sent such an email. I then went to a meeting for approximately an hour, to discuss building management, move-out dates and times, etc. I left a sign on my door, indicating what time I would return. I found the following email when I returned
First of all you have a very light schedule from 1 to 5. Second of all you always seem to be in meetings. Are your employers aware of the fact that you’re never there? Please have the decency of bringing me my package to my room(XXX). I am not going to come 10 times for my package because you’re in a meeting during your working hours( you get paid for it). It is your responsibility to be there, no matter what.
If I will not get my package delivered to my room today(by 5), I will fall a complaint to your employers in which I am going to tell them that I find it unacceptable that you are never here.
Thank you for your understanding.
I’d like to point out the following
- Considering that I go to hour long meetings once a week or so, I am in my office 90-95% of the time. Never seems like a slight exaggeration.
- Given that my employer only allows me to hire a student worker 2 hours per week for budgeting reasons, I assume my employer knows that the office is occasionally closed during hours.
- It is not a package, it is a package SLIP (all caps)
- 10 times? I haven’t even left my office 10 times in the past 2 months during my hours
- I get paid??!! Neat! Thanks for keeping me in the loop
- It is my responsibility to make sure you have a place to live, first and foremost. Mail responsibilities are somewhere between bathroom breaks and checking email on the priority list
- Fall a complaint? I am sure they will be tripping over themselves to hear your fall.
- Ooooh, contact my superiors? I am trembling. They will be very angry you have not received your slip. I will be fired! Boo hoo! Now my lifelong dream of being a package and mail flunkie will never be realized. Don’t ruin my life! Please! I will hand deliver your nonexistant package, as well as the 8 other packages, as well as the 100 or so pieces of mail to everyone’s door. While simultaneously working in my office.